I remember those first few weeks and months after I’ve decided (out of thin air) that I wanted to be a photographer. I was craving information on photography and business, like a camel craves water in a desert! The truth is that there is an abundance of good, no, great information out there, it just takes
a looooot of some time to find it. 😉 I remember how grateful I was (and I still am) every time I found something I could actually use, a tutorial I could watch, a new interesting blog I can get lost in or a new business book I can read in one sitting. With that sentiment in mind, I’ve decided to dedicate a new section of my blog to fellow photographers and enthusiast, who, like me are always on the lookout for new tips and tricks of the trade! I am no expert but I´m happy to share what I´ve learned since starting my journey in 2010. I’ve gained and developed so much with the help of fellow photographers, I feel like it’s my time to start paying it forward!
As the first post of “En Route to Shine” I wanted to give you a peek of my bookshelf and the photography/business books I have on it! Due to a recent move I still have many of my books in storage, but here are some of my favorite ones, pictured above. I’ve recently read a great quote from Dave Ramsay on Zach & Jody’s blog which said “Where you’re going to be in five years is dependant on two things – the books you read and the people you meet.” I think that’s so so true!!! I try to surround myself with positive, creative and inspiring people who make me want to be better and who make me want to shoot for the stars, and I also try to read at least one business/photography related book each month. Some of my favorite books I recommend everyone interested in the photography business to read:
1. Jasmine Star – Exposed This lady will get a full on post on the En Route blog really soon, but simply put, she has been my biggest inspiration for becoming a wedding photographer! She is a genius, a fierce business woman, an amazing writer and a great shooter! This magazine is a must read if you want to become a wedding photographer!
2. Jose Villa & Jeff Kent Fine Art Wedding Photography If you haven’t heard of Jose Villa yet, than it’s time you discover one of the most inspiring wedding photographers of our times (but I’m sure most of you have)! His work is stunning, beautiful, dreamy… he produces images that I can confidently say that 80% of all wedding photographers wish they had shot. His book is of course beautiful, engaging and I inhaled it in one afternoon!
3. Dane Sanders – Fast Track Photographer A brilliant book on how to become a photographer and how to make money out of it!
4. Dane Sanders – Fast Track Photographer – Business Plan Part two of Dane Sanders successful book, it helped me putting my business plan together big time!
5. Dale Carnegie – How to win friends and influence people I’ve just started to read this book which came highly recommended by other photographers, but it’s not actually connected to photography. It’s one of the most sold business book in history about the psychology of how to win people for your cause, ideas or business
6. Michael E. Gerber – The E-Myth This one is next one on my reading list! Supposed to be the most important book I’ll ever read… 😉 It describes why most small business fail and how to avoid the pitfall!
That’s all for now folks! I’m always looking for new recommendations, so if there are any other photography/business books I should know about, please tell me in the comments! 😉